Dear Your Holiness the Dalai Lama,
We humbly request for Your Holiness’ attention to the message below. The Hong Kong Karma Kagyu Lineage Centre (formerly known as New Horizon Buddhist Association) was established by His Holiness the 14th Kunzig Shamarpa in 2004. We have about 100,000 members in Hong Kong. Over the years, our centre has hosted and conducted countless numbers of dharma activities, including the Thousand Arms Chenrezig Nu-Nhey twice a year. His Holiness Shamar Rimpoche also completed the entire teachings of the Moonlight Mahamudra as well as the Sutra Alankara from beginning to end at our centre. We are proud to be the only Vajrayana centre in Hong Kong that has ever completed the teachings of these two profound Buddhist texts. Our Buddhist centre strictly adheres to the principles of Lord Buddha and we have no record of deceiving people in the name of Buddhism.
Once again, we have to humbly request your Holiness’ kind attention to our deepest concern. The Karma Kagyu (H.K.) Buddhist Society of Hong Kong, which claims to be the follower of H.H. Karmapa Ugyen Trinley of Dharamsala, has recently conducted ceremonies that are harmful to the Karma Kagyu sect, and to Buddhism as a whole. Our concern is that the so-called Buddhist ceremonies were conducted in an unsatisfactory manner, which will be elaborated below.
On 7th October 2011, a collaboration of dharma centres in Hong Kong and Macau jointly conducted a “Karmapa 900 Years” celebration. This joint committee was led by the Karma Kagyu (H.K.) Buddhist Society and Thrangu Rimpoche. We have strong complaints towards the commercial activities that this committee has carried out in the name of Lord Buddha. Such wrongful activities being;
- The activities misled people by claiming this year is the 900th anniversary of H.H. Karmapa Dusum Khyenpa, when it should have been last year;
- The advertisement for the event was misleading in the sense that it gave
The Karma Kagyu Lineage Center 1/F, A, Wing Tai Factory Building 12 Hing Yip Street, Kwun Tong Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
10 December 2011
the false impression that H.H. Karmapa Ugyen Trinley would be coming to Hong Kong, so as to draw a larger audience. (Please see the attached poster for your reference);
- A plastic statue of H.H. Karmapa Ugyen Trinley, equipped with electrically powered moving eyes and arms was made for the ceremony. This plastic statue, was enthroned on the stage next to Thrangu Rimpoche who himself claimed to be the guru of H.H. Karmapa Ugyen Trinley. From time to time throughout the ceremony, it would be announced that the plastic statue on stage was the emanation of H.H. Karmapa Ugyen Trinley and that whoever offered khatak to the statue would have great blessings and never enter into any of the lower realms in their next life. It was also announced that those who offered khatak to Thrangu Rimpoche would automatically receive great transmission of blessings. Our issue with this is that in order to be given the opportunity to offer khatak to the statue of Ugyen Trinley, one would have to donate HK$500,000. And to offer khatak to Thrangu Rimpoche, it required a donation of HK$300,000;
- During the ceremony, the announcer repeated that whoever receives Vajrayana transmission from Thrangu Rimpoche will be enlightened, but one must have complete trust in Thrangu Rimpoche and has to believe in whatever Rimpoche says without any doubts. Many people made huge sums of offerings without raising any questions because they did not want to “break samaya”; and
- Throughout the ceremony, it was also repeated that the Karma Kagyu (H.K.) Buddhist Society and Thrangu Rimpoche’s centre are the only Karma Kagyu centres in Hong Kong approved by Your Holiness the Dalai Lama. They often referred to Your Holiness’ name (to “qualify” and “justify” such wrongdoings) and it is also our concern that this may also tarnish Your Holiness’ name.
Thrangu Rimpoche conducted the entire ceremony from his throne on the stage. We know for a fact that in Tibet and any Himalayan countries, offering khataks to Rimpoches and lamas is free. The above-mentioned acts of corruption in the name of Dharma must be stopped. This will not only create a negative impact on Tibetan Buddhism, but also shed a grim light on all Buddhists in the world. As this is a very serious matter, all the members and Directors of the Karma Kagyu Lineage Centre are very concerned, and we have consulted our center’s founder, His Holiness. Shamar Rimpoche , on how to resolve this problem. His Holiness Shamar Rimpoche said that since the Karma Kagyu (HK) Buddhist Society and Thrangu Rimpoche’s center were associated with Your Holiness, it is best to inform to Your Holiness of this matter.
We hereby respectfully urge Your Holiness to advise the Karma Kagyu (H.K.) Buddhist Society as well as Thrangu Rimpoche’s Centre to stop indulging in such
activities in the name of Karma Kagyu which may be interpreted as corrupt by the public.
We deeply appreciate Your Holiness’ kind understanding and support for the benefit of all sentient beings
Winston LAI, Chairman
Pedro KEUNG, Director
Magdalene CHAN, Director
Pema FUNG, Director
Alan LIN, Director
Vivien SHIU, Director
Luce SHEK, Director